I suggest you ...

Bleeping Actually Document the Bleeping App/DSL!

Stop whatever it is you are doing on Keymando right now and don't do anything else until you've properly documented it. Until you do that, Keymando is doomed to fail.

I have been using Keymando since its initial release and ever since then I have been simultaneously mesmerized by its game changing potential while completely and utterly frustrated by the lack of documentation that prevents me using it for more than the simplest key mappings. I have been asking politely ever since then for documentation and none has been forthcoming. Indeed, the quality of the documentation as actually degraded.

The current "getting started" documentation is just a marketing shell and the supposed Rdoc documentation is 80% empty. Bleep, you don't even have the incode symbols for keys listed in a table anymore e.g. what is the symbol for the option key? Is is "option", "opt", "alt" "56"?

So, now I'm tired of being polite.

I have been in the computer industry 34 years now man and boy, worn many hats and done a fair bit of consulting for startups. I have seen a huge number of screwups but I don't think I've ever seen such promising software destroyed for such a trivial reason. You're treating Keymando likes it some high school student's open source project instead of a production paid app. Code comments and little videos saying, "look isn't this neat!" are not documentation, they're advertising.

Worse, I don't think you understand what you've created here. Keymando is not truly an application, utility, daemon, whatever... it is really a Domain Specific Language for processing keyboard and accessibility inputs. It's a bleeping fantastic DSL but unfortunately, you appear to be the only person on the planet that actually knows it.

You are basically saying, "Hey, I've invented this great DSL! Pay me money so you can try to reverse engineer it!"

Bleep that. I don't have time for that and I certainly don't feel I should have to pay to figure out someone else's code. I bought Keymando to speed my production, not as a hobby reverse engineering project.

I have seen this mode of failure i.e. gifted and inventive coders who cannot see their product from the eyes of end users, far to many times. For you, the operation/syntax of Keymando is obvious. You can't seem to understand it's an arbitrary mystery for everyone else. From the mailing list you seem to be on a constant bug hunt but well over half the reports on the list are caused by end users simply not understanding the DSL syntax.

I'll say it again. If you don't stop right now and document the DSL, Keymando will utterly fail in the market. As a small shop, you have to discipline yourself to do the boring parts of software development e.g. polishing, documenting, marketing etc.

It does not matter how great and powerful it is if nobody understands it. You might as well open source it and go work for a firm that writes secured banking software so you want have to produce any public documentation.

Contact me directly if you need help producing documentation. I may have some free time in the upcoming few weeks and I will gladly donate that time if it will unlock for me the power of Keymando.

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)