I suggest you ...

Dvorak Keyboard Compatibility

I use the Dvorak keyboard layout, and Keymando doesn't trigger the keys properly.

For example, in my keymando.rb file, I set up:

map "<Ctrl-j>" do
alert('hi')
end

I press the "J" key on my Dvorak layout (corresponds to the QWERTY "C" key) , and nothing happens. I was really confused about this... until I tried pressing the "H" key (which corresponds to the QWERTY "J" key), and I get my alert box.

But I'd really like to be able to press "J" on my Dvorak layout and have this command execute...

I can work around this by essentially pre-processing the keyboard mapping (entering map "<Ctrl-c>" instead of map "<Ctrl-j>"... but it's also something that might catch the unwary off guard.

It might be simple enough to write a plugin to do the translation making it look something like (map dvorak2query("<Ctrl-j>") ... and I might just end up doing it (but not this week)

10 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ryan WilcoxRyan Wilcox shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MacUserDOMacUserDO commented  · 

This problem also arises with German QWERTZ keyboards, on which "z" and "y" are swapped compared to the English QWERTY layout, and most non-alphanumeric keys are in different positions, too. The same is true for French keyboards and so on. So some sort of translation layer is really needed for Keymando to go international.

• Ryan WilcoxRyan Wilcox commented  · 

... having said that, I did a fair bit of lower level keyboard/keycode work on OS X before, and I do know this has some really annoying technical limitations...

Feedback and Knowledge Base